from orange to greige - the colour of our life

 Colour and style define eras. According to a recent article about trends in interior design the defining colour of the last few years is 'greige' It’s not beige, it’s not grey: it’s greige – and it’s why all our houses look the same | Interiors | The Guardian There are many subtle variations, and I admit our current house is painted throughout in 'Egyptian Cotton', definitely a variety of greige. 

The other day someone was talking about a book of household management from times gone by. It was published in 1976 and I muttered under my breath - 'that's not history, I was there' - and 'I remember it well -it was hot!' In my memory the long, dry, hot summer of that year was the absolute antithesis of greige. Of course, it was more than the weather, so much about the early 70s was set against a backdrop of bright, primary colours, especially our homes. My on-going project is about reflecting on how the contexts in which we have and continue to live, shape us. My love of brightly coloured clothes, and my consequent reputation for wearing less than subtle shirts (clerical and otherwise) is surely no accident? 

Over the last few days I have visited two collections seeking out examples of this love of colour. The 'Museum of the Home' in Hoxton is a fascinating place, and there was one particular exhibit I wanted to see. The room set depicting a 1970s living space could not be mistaken for any other period. The detail tells the particular story of a 'Windrush generation' family, typical of the area in which the museum is set. But look beyond the detail and the colour palette, the busy wallpaper and carpets, the furniture are reminiscent of styles that would have graced living rooms across the cultures. The article describing greige décor suggested that the desire for calming and bland colours was a reaction to the political polarization and extremism we live with currently.  I can't help feeling that if such a link were valid we would have lived the turbulent 70s swaddled in sombre tones! Perhaps instead we should be saying that now is the time vibrant hues made their way back into our homes.









Next I visited the 'Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture' (MODA) at the University of Middlesex. More of an academic research library than a place filled with exhibits, the curator pulled out some fascinating material from the archives illustrating aspects of 1970s architecture and design. Some items contained adverts and they clearly highlighted the colour preferences of the era:



The images also reveal much about the way in which domestic bliss was marketed. The beautifully manicured homes are of course the responsibility of the glamorous wife, whose role in life is to vacuum the gaudy carpets daily, chop the vegetables to produce colourful meals for the family and pass on those skills and attitudes to the next (female) generation. Perhaps the book of household management tips published in 1976 is more of an historical reference than I thought. I have on my shelves the 1958 'Modern Homes and Homemaking - Illustrated' which is filled with pictures and gender stereotypes which look very similar to these images from nearly 20 years later. 

Those things which supposedly would bring status and contentment were being challenged even as they were being promoted as the ideal. Hard as it to admit, I'm not just journeying through my memories, I am looking into history! The mid 70s were difficult years personally, but the issues were not just caused by family problems and teenage hormones, they were a reflection of society changing in ways we never imagined.     Anyone for an invite to Beverly's Party? (Abigail is of course never seen)






While I am still wearing my sunglasses to deal with the glare of 1970s, here is another of my favourite items from my own collection. Writing in the wake of a Royal Diamond Jubilee, the patriotic colour scheme here is a nod toward the Silver Jubilee which would be marked just a year later. The actual homes were built in Scotland by Barratt, but showcased at the Ideal Home Exhibition of 1976. 




















And finally, no comment on domestic colour during this period could pass without a glimpse of the ubiquitous Avocado bathroom. More grunge than greige?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making old things new

penny whistle

Time to sit down