Christmas pennies

 The first Christmas I remember in detail is one of which I cannot possibly have any recollection. The festive season which lies behind that riddle was my second. I was aged 17 months and I received some wonderful gifts, not least 'Big Ted' who is still my companion! That Christmas morning I discovered him in the top of a big, Santa adorned paper sack. It was propped up in front of the TV and as a rosy cheeked, unstable toddler I tottered towards him and grabbed hold of the toy which was pretty much the same size as me. I know exactly what the rest of the family ate for Christmas tea, and can even describe the pattern on the china tea set brought out for the occasion. I recall all this with such clarity because it was recorded on my dad's new fangled cine camera. The footage was shown countless times over the years and most of it still exists even if it now in a digital format. Those old pennies are still shiny in my mind.


Sixty years later I have spent the last three weekends helping run the Santa Specials at the Scarborough North Bay Railway. Thanks to the dedication of the many wonderful people who run the railway, these have been a total triumph. There have been so many smiles, laughter, singing, excitement and that was just the adults. The children were for the most part entranced as we transported them by train to the North Yorkshire Pole, where they rode on Santa's sleigh, made reindeer food, ate mince pies and of course met the 'man in red' who gave each one an age appropriate gift. At every stage along the way special photos were taken and videos recorded. 

I hope that those records of their trip will be shared with family friends for generations to come - that real memories have been created. Yesterday was an exhausting day as over 200 children and their families journeyed into the magic of Christmas. I expected it to be my last 'turn' this year, but this morning I was asked to go in to cover for a sick colleague. I wavered for a few minutes, but the hope that I could help a mint a few new pennies for the children of Scarborough meant I had to heed the call.



Over the next few days I will recall many Christmases, happy ones, some deeply miserable ones, average ones and no doubt the same will be true for all of us. The season comes with heightened emotions which whether we want them or not stir the memories of times gone. The season also holds out the hope of memories yet to be made, let's rejoice in that.


As you hear each rattle in your pocket of the pennies of Christmas past I hope the memories they hold will remind of you of where you have been and where you still have to travel. 

I look forward to many more trips to the North Yorkshire Pole in years to come :_

With every good wish for the season whatever it means for you.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making old things new

penny whistle

Time to sit down